1) Before filling out an application there are a number of preliminary requirements that must be met:
· You must be a resident or business owner in Mill Creek’s district or a neighboring district for at least 30 days before applying.
o You will need to be able to provide proof of residence with a Delaware driver’s license and/or utility or cell phone bill.
· You must be 18 years of age or older to apply for regular membership or 15-17 years old for junior membership.
· You must be able to comply with the legal requirements listed here to be a volunteer firefighter in the state of Delaware.
2) The next step is to fill out the application for membership which can be found on the Mill Creek website at http://millcreekfireco.org/ap.cfm. The finished application should be mailed to the following address:
Mill Creek Fire Company
PO Box 5034
Marshallton, DE 19808
**Please DO NOT drop off your application at the station**
3) You will be contacted by someone from the MCFC membership committee to set up an interview – Most interviews take place in the evening, and we will work around your schedule.
4) At the interview you will meet a number of Mill Creek’s members, and you will be asked a number of questions so that we can get to know you and understand why you are interested in joining the fire service. (Applicants seeking junior membership must be accompanied to the interview by a parent or guardian.)
Some examples of possible questions are:
· Tell us about yourself, and why do you want to join the fire service?
· How much do you know about the fire service?
· What are your plans for the future?
At the interview you will also:
· Learn about MCFC, its history, and what to expect when you are here.
· Be given an affidavit to sign – you can read it here.
· Be given information about how to get a criminal background check and driving record check. Background checks must be completed on all applicants. The applicant will be reimbursed the costs (Approx $60) upon successfully becoming a probationary member. (Receipts needed for reimbursement)
o To expedite the process, you may elect to get your background and driving check before the interview, however you may not be reimbursed if you are not successful in becoming a member. This must be done within 30 days of the interview.
5) If you receive the recommendation of the membership committee, and there are no problems with your background check or driving record, your application will be presented to the general membership at a regular MCFC business meeting where a majority vote of acceptance is required to become a probationary member.
· Regular company business meetings are held the third Monday of each month at 7:00 pm at MCFC Station 21 on Kirkwood Highway.
· See the requirements of probationary membership here.